New Player Reaper Pointers
1. Reaper mode has two things you should really watch out for - Reapers and Champions. Reapers are those ghostly looking things they come in a variety of types (Fear, Carnage, Plague, Famine). Just stay away from them. Actually run away from them. Let others handle them for now. They are incorporeal so that means you need a weapon with ghost touch or ghost bane on it to hit them. Spells will damage them but again, you don't want them agro'd to you till you have a bit more combat experience. Champions are those bright shiny monsters with things like Soul of Cruelty under their name. Stay away from them too. They can kill you in one or two swings.
2. Reaper doesn't let you self heal. Or at least it doesn't let you heal very well. Reaper therefore is about cooperation. Your other party members need to be healed by each other so you pick up a cure light wounds wand, cure moderate wounds, cure critical wounds - whatever you can use. If you are not playing a class that has access to them that means you need UMD (use magical device) to make them work. That's a skill. You should be putting points into UMD every level so that you can use these wands. If you able you should carry Raise Dead scroll as well. There will be a lot of dead in Reaper. Yes, these scrolls are expensive, but if you can raise dead the entire party will thank you. Heal scroll is another big one to get if you are able. Some of your classes have Enhancement abilities that magnify the effectiveness of the scrolls and wands - take all 3 levels of that.
3. Get a Shield Wand. Remember UMD above? Well UMD also allows you to use other spells from wands and scrolls. One of the must haves is Shield. If you are a caster you can get nightshield as a first level spell. If you aren't then head to the Marketplace and in the center is a L1 Arcane Wand Vendor. He sells Shield wands and they are cheap. Buy a couple, they will save your life. In Reaper both champions and Reapers will cast magic missile at you and these will do a LOT of damage. Basically it will kill you. If you have shield cast on you this will block the missiles and you take no damage. Other wands which are beneficial are blur (20% of all attacks miss you), jump (always a good skill to have), false life (that free HPs and the more HPs the better), stoneskin (more damage mitigation) and Expeditious Retreat (the faster you move the longer you live).
4. Hit points, hit points, hit points. Don't try to play Raistlin with a weak Constitution. Every singly character you make should have at least a 12 Constitution. That's the bare minimum. Really they should have a 14. CON should be your second stat. It's very simply, the more HPs you have, the longer you live. You can never have enough HPs. Look up hit point threads to see ways you can get maximum amount of HPs. If you think you have enough HPs, you don't. Get more.
5. Follow the Leader. The leader of your group is going to be the one moving ahead. In almost all of your groups there will be someone, if not the leader then another alpha player who is going into rooms drawing agro from the mobs. You never want to be the one doing this. You can do this when your character is stronger, right now they aren't. Allow the stronger characters to start the encounter then you start attacking. If you follow this procedure you'll find that you can attack mobs without them looking in your direction all that often.
6. Pick a class you can succeed in. If you are going to try out Reaper then pick a class that gives you the best chance to contribute. I would recommend these classes for your first Reaper experience.
Warlock - the best all around do everything class. You don't need a lot gear, you will have high UMD, you will be able to do decent to great damage.
Cleric - people need heals and clerics heal people. If all you do is heal people and try to keep them alive people will want you in their group.
Rogue - they can both get traps and do high DPS. You will be HP challenged but Rogues offer a lot of variety to the party. You want your first Rogue to be a mechanic. I know assassins are cool but try that on your second (or third) Rogue life. Right now just grab a Xbow and start shooting. Invest in intelligence and Trap gear. A Rogue who can get traps and fire a Xbow is a highly valuable part of any group
Artificer - same as Rogue, DPS/Traps. Pretty similar to the Rogue Mechanic. Trap and Xbows.
Ranger - arcane archer is the way to go with some deep woods sniper mixed in. See all those nifty arrow effects in the Arcane archer tree? They are really really good in Reaper. In a feared or paralyzed mob cannot hurt you.
Wizard - has lots of utility focus on enchantment spells like holds and charms or instant kill spells like Finger of Death. Scope out the guides for increasing your DCs. If you are a reliable enchanter you'll find yourself having success in any group and you will rarely be getting hit.
Monk - go light side and have fun with this exciting varied melee class. You have a lot to learn with monk, it isn't easy to play well but the play style if very rewarding and you can get hooked on it.
Fighter - if you just want to swing a sword and keep it simple this is the way to go. They do a lot of damage and can take some hits. Look up modern Fighter guides which rely upon defense and damage mitigation as much as DPS. As long as you aren't the first one into the room you can do well here. Don't charge in, remember you are not Conan, you are one of his henchman right now. Let Conan start the fight then move in.
7. Know when to Retreat. Sometimes a fight is going badly. Know when to get out. Learn the location of shrines in a quest. Know how far you are away from a shrine. You never know when you'll have to get back there with some soul stones. If you are able to get dead party members up as soon as possible. Don't press an attack when PCs are dying around you.
8. Crowd Control is your Friend. A lot of the classes I listed above have forms of crowd control or CC. These are abilities like stunning fist or web or paralyze that freeze mobs and don't allow them attack you. In many new quests mobs will rush at your party in large groups. This can be lethal in Reaper when they have champions in the group or Reapers. Any ability that slows this rush down is a highly valuable ability. In many ways CC is better than DPS.
This isn't a complete list of things that you'll need to know but it is enough to get you started. If you start to practice these pointers you will soon find yourself contributing to Reaper groups in no time at all. Good luck, enjoy the game and don't fear the Reaper!
Other Posts in New Player Advice & Guidance
Hi. Do you have to put at least one point in a skill to be at least rank 1 in that skill for it to be active ? So if my total modifier for a skill is say 9, but I have 0 rank, is that skill still active ? Thanks..
Spot and search
How much should your total skill be in spot and search to catch most secret doors ? If you need too much investment in those skills, why not use a rogue hireling ? Is ten total modifier in those skills enough ? If not, how much ? Thanks...
Tomes to buy on DDO store to max stats
Hi. I know I can increase all my stats by 2 with special tomes I buy on DDO store. So at level one I get +2 to all stats with those tomes. Or maybe I get +1 to all stats with the tome at level 1, and another +1 to all stats with another tome at ..
XP penalty for using hirelings ?
Hi. Is there an XP penalty for using hirelings ? I started using four hirelings in higher level tougher quests, and I get carried, doing nothing. Its boring, will only use one or two max for tougher quests. Is there an XP penalty for using them ? ..
Getting back into the game
I'm a returning player and I was wondering which server has the highest player base as of right now. I don't have anything particularly good so ill probably just start from scratch with a new toon on whatever the best server is. Please tell me, thank..
Seeking advice from advanced Ariticifer experts
Hi, I've been playing DDO for over 10 years now and for the past 5 years at least I've specialised myself by pretty much exclusively playing an Articifer. Although I enjoy playing in a group, my main focus (due to time commitments making group-play d..
How do people find out that there is the champion hunter week?
Hello I just found out about the champion hunters week and bought my very first set of bracers and cloaks. But how do you find out that it is currently running? Do i have to be on twitter or something? I can't seem to find any official posts about i..
Hi. Am totally new to the game. What use are the expansions ? Mists of Raveloft, shadowfell conspiracy, menace of the underdark. Do I have to buy them from the DDO Market ? And are those expansions only after a certain level ? I bought Shadowfell ..
Has ArchMage Tree been deleted during a game update?
I am new to the game and have started a new character. My first level was a rogue one, for my second level i have start a wizard one. In enhancements tree list i can only seen two wizard tree Eldritch and Pale Master ones. So i would like to know if ..
My dumb question thread (New player)
I have been testing out classes and servers this week. Today I started a cleric on a server I had not been on yet. I was reading about Favor on the Wiki so decided to do some quests on elite to gather favor. I did both Heydon's Rest and The Cannith C..
Returning player in need of help with build.
I am just now returning to DDO, and discovered I made a 12 wiz 2 pal 1 ftr Bladeforged EK before i went on hiatus. I do not know what i was thinking/planning, nor if this is even remotely viable in the current game. What would you suggest I do to mak..
Do reincarnation correctly, please advice.
Hey all, I have a 15 Rogue, 2 Monk & 2 Fighter, I want to swap 3 Rogue levels and then add them to Monk. Do I use a +3 heart to change 3 Rogue levels to monk? In other words, while I reincarnate I follow Rogue from lvl 1 at login then use +3 he..
epic reincarnation and cannith crafting
hello i want ta make an epic reincarnation in my articier , but the reincarnation reset my cannith crafting or not ? i have 375 lvl in cannith crafting and no want to lose it thanx for your reponse..
Negative Energy - Absorption vs Resistance?
What's the difference between Negative Energy Absorption (as per the Silver Flame Pendant) vs Negative Resistance (as per the LGS Tier 3 Equipment Augment), apart from the fact that the Pendant has limited charges?..
Opinions on Server
Hello, Just wanted to ask the community here in the advice forum questions regarding severs. Now I did do a search, but nothing that is really current in 2018, a lot of the threads I found was from 2016 and 2017. Before I delve into my questions t..
Suddenly cannot simply click the mouse button to use cure wand
Hi all, for some reason my client is behaving differently than before. Up until the last few days I've been able to click the left mouse button and heal myself and other with a cure wand in my main hand. Suddenly I have to put the wand on my quick..
Market Help, Back After Many Years.
Hello all, Need some advice on things to buy in the store, problem is it seems like the only thing I can buy is the Ravenloft expansion for my account because as I just found out if your VIP you can't buy adventure packs. Now is this because I alr..
Newbie need some help abount VIP vs expansion pack
Good evening everyone! I am a newbie that have played a litlle in year 2011. Today i have turned my free old account into a VIP one, because i would like to have access to all DDO contents. But now, in order to access all game contents, i would lik..
Hello everyone! I am still relatively new to DDO, having played off-and-on since 2009 according to my account, but I've never leveled a character past 16. I've been playing consistently for the last month or so, and plan on investing a nice amount of..
DDO Store Sales: April 6th - 12th: "Select Low-Level Adventures"
For many new players, "What to buy?" is a common and often perplexing question. Everyone tells you to "Try to only buy when On Sale!" - and then a sale comes along, and you aren't sure if you should buy this or that, or wait, or what.(For a great dis..
I Did The Stupidest Thing Ever
One of my favorite things is taking screenshots, especially dynamic scenes. Well, I had been struggling to hide the UI fast enough to get my pictures. So, I decided to key map my hide UI and my take a screenshot actions next to each other for speedy..
Just Started, Some questions!
Hello all, I am 99% new to game I played long ago when the game first came out but I don't remember like anything. A lot of content has been added. I started a pally character and chose a kit for it, forget which one but it kinda chooses a path fo..
Balth's 2018 DDO New Player's Guide
Dungeons and Dragons Online is a 12-year old MMO set in the plane of Eberron (although other places have been added over time). It is based on the 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons ruleset. As a longtime Dungeons and Dragons AND MMO player, I was surprised ..
Hello! Newbie Needs Help With Camera and UI. Help!
Hi everyone! I'm Trig and I hail from the city of Columbus, Ohio, affectionately nicknamed Cowtown. I'm the author(?) of several long running webcomics and was thinking of doing a DDO based comic using screenshots I take from the game. But, I've r..
Best way to configure to pick up loot?
I am having a horrible time with picking up loot. I'm used to games where there is a pickup loot hotkey and the hotkey will auto move you to the nearest loot that needs to be picked up or has an auto loot option that simply picks up everything withou..
I really like this game, but everytime I come back I get stuck in the altoholic mode and never get to even level 10. This time I am committed to getting my first class through his first life. I know this has been asked a billion times, but most of t..
New to Game - Where do I start
I understand basic concepts, but there is so much stuff to learn and know, I am overwhelmed with where should I start. What class? What spec? Which multi-class? What skills are relevant. Which forum threads to learn best from (most of them seem out o..
Question on Lesser TR using two +5 Lesser Heroic Hearts of Wood.
Greets All, I have a toon currently at level 10 that I would like to Lesser TR to a different class. He has 12 lives on him so I'd like to not lose him. As there are no +10 Lesser Hearts of Wood, my question is this, can I use 2 +5 Lesser Hearts? I..
Guild Renown Elixir Question
According to wiki the Sovereign and Superior renown elixirs are marked as %200 but are actually %300. Does anyone know if the other guild potions are also marked wrong? According to their descriptions the lesser is %20,medium %50,greater %75, major %..
Ok, so my main too right now is Volcras on Orien, and I'm currently in the middle of a PDK Bard rogue fighter. I'm look to do racial lives after this. Specifically, 3 Aasimar lives. They seem like an interesting race. I have all classes, and am looki..